Specialist care

Learning disability

If someone with a learning disability is assessed as eligible for support, they may be referred to a Community Team for People with Learning Disabilities (CTPLD). These teams are made up of a number of different professionals who can offer advice and support. There might also be local charities and voluntary organisations that may offer services, regardless of whether the person is eligible for support from the council. The CTPLD in Wiltshire can be contacted on: 0300 456 0111.

People on the autistic spectrum

If you are on the autistic spectrum, or care for someone on the autistic spectrum, you may need information or advice. Please visit: www.yourcareyoursupportwiltshire.org.uk and search for ‘autism’ for information. The Adult Care teams can provide services for eligible adults and their carers; call: 0300 456 0111.

Physical impairment

If you have a physical disability or a long-term illness, organisations in the independent and not-for-profit sectors may be able to signpost you to, or provide you with, a range of services to help you live as independently as possible. There are also services available to support someone who may be your carer. The Adult Care teams provide services for eligible adults with a physical impairment. They can be contacted on: 0300 456 0111.

Sensory impairment

Wiltshire Council has a specialist Hearing and Vision team which covers the county. This team takes referrals directly from:

  • the public, including carers, relatives, friends and neighbours;
  • other professionals such as health, education, environmental health and other social services staff; and
  • voluntary agencies.

Everyone can get information and advice. The team also assesses an individual’s situation and helps decide how best to meet their needs. This may be through council services or from other sources.

Tel: 01380 725201 (voice/text)
Minicom: 01380 732126
SMS (Text): 07899 067466
Email: hearingandvisionteam@wiltshire.gov.uk

Mental health

Your doctor may want to seek more specialist input and refer you to Avon and Wiltshire Mental Health Partnership NHS Trust (AWP). AWP can provide advice to your doctor or refer you onto specialist mental health services which can help you to find the best way to recover and stay well, based on your individual need.

Working alongside AWP, there are two specialist mental health social work teams in the council’s Adult Care teams which provide support for adults with severe and enduring mental health conditions. The teams are based in the north (Monkton Park, Chippenham) and south (Fountain Way Hospital, Salisbury) of the county. The teams are responsible for completing assessments when packages of support, supported living or residential/nursing home placements are required. They work very closely with housing providers and other local organisations/voluntary sector groups who can assist with employment and vocational activity.

For information on care or support options, contact a customer adviser on: 0300 456 0111.

AWP offers a Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS) which is a free, confidential and impartial service available to everyone who uses AWP services, their families, carers or anyone who needs advice, information, support or guidance with a particular issue.

PALS can help if you:

  • are worried and not sure what to do or where to go;
  • need clarity about a situation;
  • want someone to listen to your experience of services; or
  • need information and help.

Tel: 01249 468261
Freephone: 0800 073 1778
Email: awp.pals@nhs.net
Web: www.awp.nhs.uk/advice-support/pals

Dementia care

For information about dementia care services, such as care and support in your home or residential care homes, contact Wiltshire Council on: 0300 456 0111.