Support for carers

Support for carers

Bromley Council recognises and appreciates that carers are vital, and the value of their support incalculable, for the well being of the person they are caring for.

A carer is someone who regularly cares, without payment, for a relative, partner or friend, who due to illness, disability, vulnerability or frailty cannot manage at home without help. If you look after a relative, friend or disabled child who needs support to live at home then you are a carer and eligible for help.

We provide the following help for carers over 18 and for those they care for:

  • the person you look after can have a Care Assessment to see if services can be provided to support or replace the care you normally give. You are able to contribute to this discussion if the person you care for agrees to this
  • you can have your own confidential Carer’s Assessment which will look at your caring responsibilities and your own needs
  • advice and information on local services and organisations
  • leaflets and publications for carers

To ensure that services go to those with the greatest need, who are at risk of losing their independence, we have eligibility criteria for those who are seeking help from Bromley Council. Priority for services is given to those whose needs have been assessed as meeting the criteria. Services for carers and those they care for are also provided by local voluntary organisations such as Carers Bromley.

Carers assessments
You can have your own confidential carer’s assessment, which will look at your caring responsibilities, and your own needs. A carer’s assessment gives you the opportunity, in confidence to:

  • talk about your own needs as a carer
  • share your experience of caring
  • understand how your caring role is affecting you
  • find out what support could make your life as a carer easier
  • get information and advice
  • discuss any difficulties you have
  • share your feelings about the future

There is no cost for assessment, advice or information from Bromley Council. However, there may be a cost for some of the services that are available, which will be fully discussed before support is arranged. Contact Bromley Social Services Direct. Assistance is available from 8.30am to 5.30pm, Monday – Friday. Telephone: 020 8461 7777.

For carers of people aged under 65 with mental ill-health, this help can be accessed through the relevant local Community Mental Health Teams. All offices are open Monday to Friday from 9.00am to 5.00pm.

Further details of services for carers with mental ill-health can be found on the Oxleas NHS Trust website:

For the Bromley Council out of hours emergency duty service, telephone 020 8464 4848.

Useful contacts
Carers Bromley provides support to people in Bromley who provide care for others, who, due to disability, long-term illness (mental or physical) or frailty, are unable to cope on their own. Freephone 0800 015 7700 Email:

Bromley Mencap provides a wide range of information, brokerage and support planning to people with disabilities, their parents and carers, in the London Borough of Bromley who don’t get any help from Bromley Council. Helpline: 020 8466 0790 (open Monday to Friday from 9.00 am to 5.00 pm)

Carers Direct is an NHS website, which provides further information and advice. You can call on 0808 802 0202 for free, confidential information and advice. Lines are open 8am to 9pm Monday to Friday, 11am to 4pm at weekends. Calls are free from UK landlines and mobiles.

Directory of Carers Services can be viewed on line at: