Support for carers

Support for carers

You are a carer if you look after a family member, partner or friend who, without that help, would not be able to manage because they are ill, frail, disabled or have mental health or substance misuse issues. Carers are not paid to provide care and are not employed by an agency or provide care as a volunteer.

If you are regularly providing a substantial amount of care for another person you are entitled to have a carer’s assessment: this will look specifically at the support that you as a carer need to enable you to continue to care. The assessment will look at your own health, whether you are working or in education and whether you have time to yourself to do the things that are important to you.

You can choose how you have your carer’s assessment, this can be a self- directed assessment that you complete with social care staff; or if you don’t want to have a separate assessment, your views can be taken into account when the person you care for is having their community care assessment, this is a ‘joint assessment’.

The information you provide through the assessment will help you to identify what support or services that will help you in your caring role. The support you need can be provided through Adult Social Services, Children and Young People’s Services or the voluntary, community and faith sector groups.

The support should be recorded in a Support Plan, either your own or in the Support Plan created for the person you care for. A social care worker will discuss this with you.

If you would like a carer’s assessment or want to ask for more information, call the Central Advice and Duty Team on 0151 606 2006.