Support for unpaid carers

Support for unpaid carers

Shared Lives
‘Shared Lives’ is a scheme provided by Kirklees Council, bringing together ‘Shared Lives’ carers recruited from the Kirklees community and people who need support to live independently.

The scheme helps many people, including people with learning or physical disabilities, mental health needs or older people. It gives them the chance to maintain their independence and lead the life they want. ‘Shared Lives’ is a flexible and unique arrangement offering support from a few hours a week to a short break.

For more information telephone 01484 226520 or email:

Short breaks (respite care)
A carer can be a family member or friend living with you, or perhaps living nearby, who helps or provides care for you on a regular unpaid basis. These carers sometimes need a break. This could be for a few hours a week or for a longer break. Your carers needs and preferences for the type and length of break you have can also be assessed along with your own. There are a number of options:

  • Support in the home can be arranged so your carer can have a break
  • Short stays in a residential placement might be the best option if you wish to go into a care home yourself for a week or two
  • If you have sufficient funds you may wish to arrange home – based respite care where another carer moves into your home for a short period.

For more information on services for carers contact Carers Gateway on 01484 226050.