Third party payments

If the home you choose costs more that the rate the Council can pay for someone with your needs, you will have the choice to ask someone else to make an additional payment. This means that they will have to pay the difference between the Council’s rate and the amount the home charges. This additional payment is often referred to as a ‘top-up’ or ‘third party top-up’ and normally has to be made by someone else, for example, a family member or charity.

Before anyone agrees to make additional payments on your behalf they should be aware that the amount could increase and they need to be confident that they can sustain the payments for as long as they are required. If the additional payments stop being paid, for any reason, then you should seek help and advice from the local authority. Once it has been established that someone is willing and able to make these payments they will be asked to sign an agreement to formalise the arrangement.