Third party top-up payments

Some people want a wider choice of care homes than Bromley Council can offer at their standard fee rates. You can choose to go into a more expensive home if someone else like a relative, friend or charity is willing to pay the difference between the Council’s rate and your chosen home’s fees. This is called a third party top-up arrangement. The person making the additional top-up payment will have a separate legal agreement with the Council and must understand that:

• they must be able to keep up the payments or you could be asked to move into a cheaper home;
• they must be prepared to meet the cost of future increases in the payment when fees are reviewed; and
• the Council reserves the right to terminate the contract if the care home breaches the terms and conditions of the contract.

The charging regulations do not allow you to make this additional payment from your own money except in very limited circumstances, because the council has already assessed your contribution according to the rules as the maximum you can pay. See ‘Paying for your care home’ available from your care manager or Bromley Social Services Direct on 020 8461 7777.