Top-up fees

If you want to be supported by Adult Social Care in a home which costs more than the rate Northumberland County Council usually pays for someone with your needs, you will have to ask someone else to make an additional payment. This means that they will have to pay the difference between the Council’s rate and the amount the home charges. This additional payment is often referred to as a ‘third party top-up’. You should establish whether a top-up is required before choosing a care home. It is important to note that if there is no top-up required when you take residency the care provider should not introduce one at a later date.

The law says that you are not allowed to make this additional payment, except in limited circumstances, because your own money is taken into account in setting charges. Therefore, the additional payment normally has to be made by someone else, for example, a family member or charity.

Before anyone agrees to make additional payments on your behalf they should be aware that the amount could increase and they need to be sure that they can sustain the payments for as long as they are required. If the additional payments stop being paid for any reason, then you should seek help and advice from your care manager.