Other types of support

Support and care in your own home

If you need help to live independently in your own home, or you are finding it difficult to manage at home, family and friends may be able to help. Alternatively, you could consider using the services of a home care/support provider. Home care providers employ care assistants to provide help in people’s homes.

Care assistants can provide help with personal care such as bathing, washing and dressing, and/or meals. They are trained in personal care, moving and handling, food hygiene and infection control. They must be checked with the Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) and have had their references checked by their employers. If you require nursing care at home, some home care providers can provide this. Some people may also require assistance with other day-to-day needs.

A list of home care providers operating on the Island starts on page 22.

Alternatively, you can choose to employ a Personal (care) Assistant (PA). This is a care assistant who works just for you and you employ them directly. This can offer a greater degree of flexibility, choice and control over your care. To find out more about employing a PA you can speak with People Matter IW on: 01983 241494 or look on: www.iwight.com/adults.

For more information about paying for your care please see page 9.

Supported Living

Supported Living schemes offer a wide range of support to enable people to live in their own home, helping them to maintain home life and live as independently as possible, helping them to sustain their tenancy. They provide support through a care support worker with things such as:

  • household tasks;
  • personal care;
  • maintaining a tenancy;
  • taking medication;
  • money management;
  • building links with friends, family and the community;
  • social and leisure activities; and
  • making healthy lifestyle choices.

Sheltered housing

If help in your own home is a challenge and you want more control than residential care offers, then sheltered housing might be a good option.

There are different types of sheltered housing schemes. Some will have a scheme manager (a warden) who lives on or off site. All of them should provide 24-hour emergency help through an alarm system.

Each scheme usually has between 20 and 40 selfcontained flats or bungalows, but there will often be communal areas, such as the lounge, laundry room and garden. Many schemes run social events for residents.

Extra Care housing

If you need more support than you would get in sheltered housing, then Extra Care sheltered housing may be an option. This allows you more independence than living in a care home, as you would still live in a self-contained flat but would have your meals provided and may also receive personal care.