Paying for care in your own home

Councils provide upfront information on how much people can expect to pay and how charges are worked out. This information must be made available when a needs assessment is carried
out and written confirmation of how the charge has been calculated must be provided after a
financial assessment.

People with more than £23,250 in capital including savings have to pay the full cost. The value of the home is not counted when working out charges for non-residential care. If you have more than £23,250 you should tell Adult Services when your savings fall below this amount.

The council calculates charges in accordance with its Fair Access to Care Services policy. This ensures people are only required to pay what they can afford, taking into account capital,
income and expenditure.

The assessment looks at how much money you have coming in, gives an allowance (set by
the Government) for everyday living expenses and makes allowance for disability-related expenditure. Disability-related expenditure is the extra amount you spend as a result of your
disability or illness. Adult Services can help you to identify these costs. They will also carry out a full benefit check and, if you want them to, assist you with claiming your full entitlement. Most people on a very low income are not required to pay.

Figures mentioned here may change over the lifetime of this Directory.

Non-means tested care and support

Care provided by the NHS is free; for example services provided by a community or district
nurse. Intermediate care, sometimes known as ‘reablement’, is also free. This type of care is often provided to avoid hospital admission or given as support following hospital discharge.
Reablement can be provided free for up to six weeks. If on-going care needs are identified at
any time during this period however, the on-going service is no longer classed as reablement
and becomes chargeable.

Some people do not have to pay towards care services. For example, aftercare services provided under section 117 of the Mental Health Act are free of charge.

If you are in need of care or support you may be eligible to claim Attendance Allowance (AA) or
Personal Independence Payments (PIP). AA and PIP are non-means tested benefits. This means
that when you apply for this type of benefit your financial circumstances are not taken into account. Provided you have the need for care and support you can receive AA or PIP regardless of how much income or capital you have. AA is payable to people over the age of 65 and PIP for those aged 16 to 64. There are different rates that can be awarded, dependent on the level and type of help you need.

Other ways to fund your care and support

If you do not qualify for financial assistance from Adult Services there are various ways in which you could consider paying for care and support. It is important that you seek independent financial advice when considering other funding options. There are independent financial advisers that focus specifically on care funding advice, often referred to as specialist care fees advisers. They are regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA) and must stick to a code of conduct and ethics and take shared responsibility for the suitability of any product they recommend.

The Society of Later Life Advisers (SOLLA) aims to assist consumers and their families in finding trusted accredited financial advisers who understand financial needs in later life. To find
a SOLLA fully accredited independent financial adviser a search is available on their website:

Equity release

If you cannot get the care or support you need from your local council and do not have sufficient income or savings to pay for services, equipment or adaptations privately you could consider equity release if you own your home. Releasing capital from your home is becoming more popular as property prices have substantially increased over the years.

There are two types of equity release – Home Reversion Plans where you sell part of your home
in exchange for a lump sum and/or a regular income and continue living there and Lifetime Mortgages where you borrow against the value of your property and the interest on the loan rolls up, added to the loan and repayable when you sell the property or move out.
Most equity release providers have signed up to be members of SHIP (Safe Home Income Plans). SHIP members adhere to a strict code of conduct meaning they must:

•provide fair, simple and complete presentation of their plans. Clearly setting out the benefits,
obligations, v ariables and limitations in their literature;

•include all costs which the applicant has to bear in setting up the plan, the position on moving, the tax situation and the effect of changes in house values;

•ensure the client’s legal work will always be performed by the solicitor of his or her choice who will be required to sign a certificate to the effect that the contractual terms have been fully explained; and

• all SHIP members’ plans carry a ‘no negative equity’ guarantee so you will never owe more
than the value of your home.

The dos and don’ts of equity release:


•Consider the alternatives – family or friends, existing savings, claiming benefits, grants or downsizing.

•Consider the impact on means-tested benefits or council support.

•Involve family members in your decision.

•Ask the right questions: Can the plan be repaid early? Are there early repayment charges? Can I borrow more in the future? How much will the debt be in future years compared to the property value? Can the plan be transferred if I move? Is it SHIP approved?

•Borrow only what you need immediately. If you require future funds, using a draw down plan means you only pay interest on the money from the date you borrow it.

•Choose an independent solicitor with experience in dealing with equity release and preferably agree a fixed fee.

•Choose an independent financial adviser (IF A) with the relevant equity release qualification, experience and access to all equity release plans on the market.


•Borrow money to invest. It is risky to hope that investing money borrowed would provide a return greater than the costs of borrowing it.

•Proceed without specialist advice

Managing a personal budget

If you are eligible for a personal budget from Adult Services there are organisations that can help you to manage this.

ecdp solutions
ecdp solutions’ aim is to enhance the lives of people by providing an independent support planning service to anyone in receipt of a personal budget. ecdp solutions will guide people
through the development and completion of their support plan by ensuring that the right level
of support is provided to enable people to live the lives they want with the support needs that
meet their lifestyles. If you are funding your own care ecdp solutions offers telephone support to assist with the creation of a support plan.

For people who decide to self-manage their personal budget, and wish to employ a personal assistant, ‘ecdp pass’ provides a personalised payroll service.

ecdp solutions
Tel: 01245 392300

ILA provides a range of services that supports people to employ a personal assistant. At every step along the way, from advertising through to the recruitment process, ILA will support people to whatever extent they require. In addition, they offer employer and personal assistant training modules, and manage an on-going personal assistant register that holds details of people actively seeking employment as a personal assistant.

ILA also offers advocacy services for anyone requiring support with debt, discrimination, housing, complaints, safeguarding, welfare rights, Court of Protection and Deputyship as well as
self-advocacy groups.

Tel: 01245380888/01376534980