What if I can no longer cope in my current home?

What if I can no longer cope in my current home?

For general advice and information about your housing options telephone: 01253 477760.

Housing with care
In Blackpool there are two extra care schemes run in partnership between the Council and Great Places Housing Group. They are Tulloch Court on Cherry Tree Road and Elk View Court on Ashfield Road.

Designed to meet the individual needs of people aged 55 and over, extra care housing can provide a real alternative to residential care.

Each flat is self-contained, has full disability access and the security of a direct line to Blackpool’s Community Alarm, Vitaline. Care and support staff are on site 24 hours a day, 7 days a week ready to respond in the case of emergency or to provide on-going care if you need it.

Who can apply?
Anyone over 55 who needs care now, or who is planning for their care needs in the future, can apply. Both schemes aim to have a mixture of people with low, medium and high care needs, to create a balanced community.

The amount you pay for rent and service charge will vary depending on your income as you may qualify for benefits such as Housing Benefit and exemption from Council Tax.

For an information pack and application form contact:

Housing Options
South King Street
Blackpool FY1 4TR
Tel: 01253 477760
Email: housing.options@blackpool.gov.uk

Sheltered housing
Blackpool Coastal Housing manages 20 sheltered housing schemes on behalf of the Council, providing over 800 homes. They offer high quality accommodation promoting a safe and secure environment which supports independence.

Sheltered housing schemes offer various benefits, from:

  • a secure tenancy
  • the privacy of your own front door
  • individual support plans tailored to you
  • in some cases there are social activities within a community centre
  • summon help 24 hours a day by pulling pull cords, and
  • regular contact with a support officer to check on your wellbeing.

The level and nature of support from a dedicated support officer will vary according to your needs. When you move into a sheltered housing scheme, the support officer will work with you to develop your Individual Support Plan designed to identify your individual needs and levels of support.

Costs vary from scheme to scheme. You will pay a weekly rent and a service and support charge which includes the cost of support services, maintenance of the community centre, where there is one, and communal grounds. You may be entitled to help with the cost of the rent and some of the service charges by applying for Housing Benefit – you will be advised about this when applying. You may also be eligible to receive help with paying part of the service charge from the local ‘Supporting People’ scheme.

To apply for the Council’s sheltered housing you should contact:

Housing Options
South King Street
Blackpool Council FY1 4TR
Tel: 01253 477760

If you would like more information about the sheltered housing service, you should contact:

Blackpool Coastal Housing
Coastal House
17-19 Abingdon Street
Blackpool FY1 1DG
Tel: 01253 477898
Email: shelteredhousing@bch.co.uk or visit: www.bch.co.uk

In Blackpool there are also a number of private and housing association sheltered housing properties. Details can be found in Yellow Pages.

Blackpool Coastal Housing also supports tenants of Blackpool Council to remain in their own homes and independent. Those tenants who require changes to their home to make them more accessible, for example by fitting grab rails or installing a walk in shower; Blackpool Coastal Housing may be able to arrange for an adaptation. If you are a Council tenant and feel you would benefit from an adaptation you should contact your own GP or if you would like more information about the Adaptations Service, you should contact:

Blackpool Coastal Housing Tel: 01253 477900 Email: enquiries@bch.co.uk or Care and Repair Tel: 01253 651555.