Will I need ‘formal’ care?

People may need professional help to keep safe and well because they have developed an illness or disability, are frail, have family difficulties, or are just getting older and finding day to day life more difficult. To identify whether you need formal care to enable you to remain independent, a social worker can look at what you can and can’t do (as well as what you would like to be able to do) and advise you.

Everyone is entitled to this ‘assessment’ (including carers) and sometimes it will take place over the phone and sometimes face to face in your home. Depending on what your needs are (whether you are eligible to receive help from the council is based on criteria set by the Government), the council may then be able to make the necessary arrangements for you. If not (or if you prefer), you will be advised about the community/voluntary agencies and private organisations that can help you.