Whats in this section?

Whats in this section?

What is housing with care?

Housing with care is a concept which combines independent living, a home with security of tenure, along with care services arranged according to need. They are varied and diverse but most people are familiar with the traditional model of sheltered housing. Housing with care incorporates sheltered housing along with modern developments to cater to the needs and individual wishes of people. Schemes may be run by housing associations, the local authority, voluntary organisations or private companies. Properties may be available for rent, mixed tenure or to purchase.

Due to its nature there are no real definitions of housing with care schemes however terms you may come across include sheltered housing, very sheltered housing, retirement villages, assisted living, extra care or close care. The two most popular forms of housing with care are discussed below.

Sheltered housing

Sheltered housing, or retirement housing is for people who want to remain independent but prefer the security and reassurance of a scheme manager and an alarm call service. It is provided by local authority housing departments and housing associations. A scheme manager is either based at the site or visits regularly. Many sheltered housing schemes have communal lounges, laundry facilities, lifts, door entry systems and specially adapted facilities.

Find details of sheltered housing schemes near you via your local council.

Extra Care housing

Extra Care Housing is specialist housing designed for older people. It combines self-contained accommodation and some communal facilities with care and support services.

Extra care housing offers higher levels of care than sheltered housing, making it a popular alternative to a care home.

Facilities and care provided varies by scheme but usually include:

  • Self-contained adapted flats or bungalows
  • Communal facilities like a lounge area, dining area and garden
  • On-site care and support staff, available 24 hours a day
  • Emergency alarms 

Properties can be rented, owned or part-owned/part-rented. Click here to find an extra care housing scheme near you.

Supported living

Supported living is a term generally used to describe situations in which people (often younger adults with specialist needs such as a learning disability or mental health condition) usually rent their home, and their personal care or support is arranged separately. This means they can change their support without having to move, or move and take the same support with them. People have security of tenure, and can claim a wide range of welfare benefits.

Supported living can be delivered in a range of settings, including individual flats or houses, clusters of self-contained flats on the same site, shared accommodation, and extra care housing. The individual, a private landlord, a housing association, a local authority or a charity may own the property.

Supported living refers to the way in which accommodation and support are organised, rather than the amount of support. This will be tailored to individual need and can include access to support 24 hours a day if assessed as necessary. Search Supported Living schemes.

What next?

Back To Top